The Department of English was established in 1945. The first principal of the college Prof. Khadye was the graduate of the Cambridge University with English honors. He was followed by the stalwarts such as Prin. Jamdagni and Vice Prin. Natu who established the department and developed its library for the generations to come
Undergraduate classes only for BA (with English Special) and for SYBSc students as second language.
Special courses on an average have around twenty five to thirty students per year where as the entire arts stream, most of the SY B Sc. Students and all of SY B Sc comp. science and biotechnology students are taught compulsory English course.
There are three permanent teachers in the department and one teacher on the Clock hour basis.
Books and Journals
There are 16,955 books in the college library for the subject and a journal.
The Department is not autonomous and therefore syllabus framing is not within the purview of the College. The University of Pune dictates the changes in syllabus. The new syllabus for English is being introduced in a phased manner. 2008-09 saw a change in the syllabus for FYBA. The next two years will see a change in SYBA and TYBA syllabus.